9 March 2015

My Reasons For Blogging

Although I have only been blogging on this blog for almost a year, blogging has been in my life a hell of a lot longer with the many blogs I have owned previously. I seem to have a habit of creating something, loving it, hating it, and deleting it. Recently there has been a shift in blogging with more of a focus on producing a brand and a business rather than a hobby which I think is totally amazing, no ones going to say no to making a career out of something they love. I do feel like I've lost my place a bit though, I don't want to build a business from my blog, definitely not yet anyway so I've been thinking about why it is that I blog, I'm not an aspiring journalist and don't have one particular passion.

You've probably noticed my blogging is rather sporadic, a post here and there, I don't take the best photographs and don't have the most captivating writing style. Truth is, I blog because I hate the thought of, at some point in the future, forgetting memories no matter how small they are. It's a bit of a strange paranoia of mine and I do record my whole day, every day, in a draft blog post, picking out the highlight's and piling them into one monthly roundup post. I feel the need to take photos in every slightly significant moment and will always be disappointed if I don't take enough. In reality, I'm not very good at living in the moment and as Chrissy put it, there's a good chance that I'm documenting my life away. On the other hand, it certainly is nice having something to reflect on and a place where all my achievements and memories are documented, which is why my monthly roundup posts are often my most consistent and I love being able to look back on those. They help me live with more intention, reflecting on what I should do more of and identifying my goals, hopefully inspiring any readers to have a similar mindset. I think blogging is perfect for introverts like myself, we may not be all that great at real life conversations so it's nice to have your own space to escape to and write. I think I just need to focus on enjoying moments in whole rather than thinking about how I'm going to document or talk about them.

In terms of my other posts, I love putting them together and having a chat about things outside of my 'online diary' type posts. I enjoy it. That's why I've decided to expand this blog a bit, I have my Project Life scrapbook now, enabling me to match experiences with photos of friends and family which I don't do on here as I don't want to be plastering their faces online without their permission (as very few know about this blog). Not going to lie, I do get caught up in the whole modern world of blogging which unfortunately has brought with it a lot of self comparison and a constant need for improvement, causing myself to question whether to keep blogging at all. I do want to though, for now, and I'm going to throw a little more lifestyle into What Rachael Wrote with new posts (involving lots of lists) documenting other things in life and I may try and split my monthly roundup posts into smaller posts throughout the month. To be honest, I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this, so I'll leave it here. I'd love to hear your stories about why you blog.

Rachael x
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. I look forward to reading some more lifestyle - love how honest this post is too.

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzie, I wasn't sure if it would come across a little too honest.

      Delete
  2. Lovely read! I completly get the point about realising you aren't living in the moment becuase you are taking photographs, totally me!x

    Fleur | wishesandtea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fleur :) Documenting things whilst completely engaging in them is a hard balance to get right! x

      Delete
  3. I love "real" posts where they can be all over the place but show yourself through them =]

    emyii90.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, this post is definitely one of those! :)

      Delete
  4. I think I blog for the same reasons you do - I like documenting my life because I think I'll enjoy reading back on my posts in a year or two, remembering the highlights and smiling at old photographs. I'm also a bit of an introvert and blogging gives me time to sit down and reflect on how I feel every month when I write a round up post.

    I also do genuinely just love to write about whatever pops into my head - I'm a communications officer but blogging means I can write about whatever I want to, rather than what I have to because my boss says so!

    I do worry about the negative side of blogging though - it can be difficult to maintain a balance and not let blogging and social media take over your free time! It's amazing that so many people have managed to build a career out of their blogs, but, especially because I don't want to make a career out of my blog, I need to remember it's okay to never compare myself to people who have a massive presence online, or feel like because my blog is so minuscule it's not worth existing!

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with everything you have said! It's so important to get that balance right and remember that you're blogging for yourself so it really doesn't matter if your blog isn't as amazing and successful as the bloggers who are running a career from their blog x

      Delete
  5. Haha I love this... I'm the same, I don't take blogging very seriously, try not to apologise if I miss posts, and just enjoy it really!

    If you'd like a laugh check out my latest post on all the silly things bloggers do (hint... a lot of rose gold and banana bread) x

    The perks of being a hipster- 16 things all bloggers know! 

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love taking loads of photos to remember everything significant as well but I always do get caught up in the moment and forget! Looking forward to reading your lifestyle posts!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah I always feel so disappointed if I forget, I find that taking photos is just at the forefront of my mind all of the time! I'm not even good at photography haha. Thanks Alice!

      Delete

© What Rachael Wrote. All rights reserved.
TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig